On these article you are going to learn how to prepare the ideas meal known as Onunu. Onunu is a dish served at traditional wedding ceremonies amongst the Ijaws, River state and Kalabari in south-south Nigeria. The usual habit of swallowing any mashed looking meal was the way I was going to eat this pounded yam and plantain. But when I asked my guest she quickly corrected me to say that you chew this meal. Boy did I enjoy this meal. The sauce that goes with the Onunu, which is a light fish stew, is so appropriate particularly when you make it spicy like I do with fish. But of course you can adjust the spice level to tastes. Here is how you make Onunu
How to Prepare ONUNU Meal
Below is a step by step guild how you can prepare this wonderful meal.
Recipe / ingredients For Making ONUNU
- 1 medium slice Yam
- 1 medium size very ripe Plantain
- 2 tablespoons PalmOil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel and cut up the yams into small cubes and bring to boil
- Peel the plantain, cut into 3 pieces and add to the yam after that has been boiling for about 5 minutes
- Add salt when yam and plantain are almost cooked
- Cook both till soft and pound adding the palm oil . Pound till yam, plantain and oil is well mixed. Mould into small balls.
How to Prepare Stew for ONUNU
- 2-3 pieces Fresh Fish
- 1/2 cooking spoons
- Tomato/Pepper/Onion blend
1/4 Onion, chopped
- Seasoning to taste
- A little dry pepper
- 2 cooking spoons Palm Oil
- Few leaves Partmenjar or Curry leaves
Salt to taste
- Season fish and crab with a little dry pepper, seasoning cubes and allow to marinade for about 20 minutes
- Steam fish and crab with a little water for about 5 minutes under low heat and set aside
- Heat the palm oil and fry the onion till light brown
- Add the tomato/ pepper mix and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and a little bit more pepper if you want.
- Add water and cook. The stew is light like the Yoruba stew used for eating Eba
- Taste the stew and check that the tanginess of the tomato is off
- Add the fish , crab , curry leaves and the little fish stock and lower the heat to cook the fish and crab. When fish is cooked the stew is ready
Serve with the Onunu
Hope you enjoy preparing On u guys meal, if followed the above steps correctly you should have your Onunu dish right in front of you.