I could remember while growing up in the north, Kunun Aya was our favorite drink, maybe it is because of its very delicious and refreshing taste any northerner could attest to.
To us Kunun Aya is way more better than youghort, because its price is very cheap, it is milky, affordable and it also contributes greatly to our health and well being.
But when I arrived Lagos, I found out that Kunun Aya doesn’t just stop at being our favorite drink in the north, but also could serve as a great channel of making money in our dear Lagos. I realize that Lagosians gives great values to natural products, due to their scarcity, and this is a very great opportunity to key into.
Starting a Kunun Aya business is very easy, because it is a business you can start will as low as 2000 naira. Where you may spend a little money is when branding its bootle, if you want to take it to a higher level, and that wouldn’t be an hindrance.
So I will be teaching you how to make Kunun Aya, and its benefits to the body.
HOW TO MAKE KUNUN AYA
1. TIGER NUT
3. COCONUT: OPTIONAL
4. DATES: OPTIONAL
IF YOU WISH TO MAKE IT MORE MEDICINAL, YOU CAN ADD
GINGER AND CINNAMON TO IT.
DIRECTION FOR MAKING KUNUN AYA
Soak the very dry nuts in a generous quantity of cold water maybe for 2 days. Most tiger nuts sold in Nigeria are fresh and well hydrated so you’ll only need to soak those ones for a few hours or overnight.
After the soaking, wash the nuts very well and sort out the bad ones, because if not they could give the drink another taste, funny.
Put them in your blender and pour just enough water to help the blades move. We need to make this milk as concentrated and tasty as possible, you can add more water later if you wish.
At this time you can add other ingredients: coconut, sugar, ginger and other flavours of your choice and blend them together. I prefer making it as natural as possible so I do not add any other ingredient to this drink. The natural taste of Tiger Nut Milk is so great, you do not want to alter it at all.
After blending, use a chiffon cloth to separate the chaff from the drink. Make sure the chiffon is brand new, or thoroughly washed with dish washing liquid.
Press the stocking to make sure you squeeze out all the milk from the chaff.
Put the dry chaff back in the blender, add more water and blend again. Then strain with the chiffon cloth.
Repeat the process till all the milk has been extracted. But don’t do it too much or else the milk will be watery, So 2 times should be enough.
As a guide, I got 1.5 litres of tiger nut milk from 600g of soaked tiger nuts. Yours may differ.
Pour the extracted milk into bottles, brand, refrigerate and start selling. It can last for up to three days in a refrigerator.
IMPORTANCE OF KUNUN AYA TO THE BODY.
1. Tigernuts helps the organism to prevent constipation and acts as an appetite suppressant, which helps us to control our body weight.
2. It has a lipid profile which is very similar to the olive oil, which is considered one healthiest oils.
3. With only 100 gr. of Tigernuts your body gets 13% to 17% of the daily recommended dose of magnesium. This mineral stays active in the body and participates in more than 300 biochemical reactions of our organism.
5. It’s high content of amino acid arginine helps the body make nitric oxide with maintain our blood vessels dilated and have a normal blood flow.
6. The high non soluble fiber contents of the Tigernuts help the diabetics to regulate their sugar levels in the bood.
7. The Tigernuts is a source of Vitamin E that protects us from the creation of harmful free radicals which are responsible for the death of the body cells.
SO CONSIDER TIGER NUT, CONSIDER MAKING KUNUN AYA.