Six people were reported dead in nnewi Anambra state . A couple and their four children, were burnt due to gas explosion in their residence at No 30 Izundu road, Abubo Nnewichi in Nnewi North LGA of Anambra State.
The incident occurred at about 6.15pm, the fire accident that wiped the family was due to a leakage of gas from a cooking gas cylinder and this ignited fire in their 3-bed room flat residence
The names of the victims, are Mr Ebube Okeke who is 40 years old, his lovely wife whose name goes by Chioma is 32 years of age, together with their four kids, who are between the ages of three and nine, they were at the first floor apartment of the two-storey building when the house exploded.
Justina, who is a neighbor said the sound of the explosion went across the whole street, and these made everyone to run for their lives.
The father of the house had noticed the leakage of the cylinder and he wanted to fix it but it was too late as it was already at the exploding point.
The explosion made the wall of the house to be pulled down and it also extended to other part of the building and this made some other neighbors in that same building sustained like to of injuries.
The fire service officers came to their rescue but it was already too late as the deed has been done and the fire was already calm.
The victims were rushed to NAUTH Nnamdi Azikwe teaching hospital Nnewi for treatment but unfortunately the degree of the injury was high and they were reffered to Enugu hospital.
The police officer in otolo nnewi who investigated the accident . He also said the area was protected in other to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation.